If you live in Delhi or have visited it and not been to Janpath, that is blasphemy! Located in the centre of the city alongside the famous Connaught Place, Janpath is the cities ‘culture gully’. Strolling across the streets are young and old alike eager to get shopping and bargaining (oh! Who doesn’t love that?) . From Home Décor to Jewelry to the latest fashion trends, Janpath is heaven for all.
This place is not new but it is a historical market which was an important part of the inauguration ceremony of new capital of India, New Delhi from Kolkata. This is the reason that it attracts many foreign tourists, street shoppers and shopaholics. When you enter the market you will see many kiosks selling wide range of products. You might find this place small and crowded but the goods sold here are sometimes worth buying. You might not find those items in Malls and Multi-chain stores.Prior to this, its name was Queen’s way. This name was given to it in the early 90’s.
How to reach the market:
So, to reach here you have to catch the violet line metro and take exit from janpath metro station and after walking 50 metres the market will start or you can also take yellow line metro and take exist from Rajiv Chowk metro station from gate no 5,6 then there will be a straight road to reach there but in case you could not manage to find the way then you can take a auto rickshaw & he will easily take you there.
- If you are looking for the complete attire this place will never upset you. There are variety of tees, tops, kurtis which are available in wide range of colors, stuff ,sizes and if you are going in summer you will find different varieties in styles also like crop top, Afghani etc.
- There are also wide variety of dresses and tunics to buy for parties and occasion all available in vogue.
- There are many beautiful especially ethnic bags which are artistically hand-made are worth purchasing even shoes, bellies, Punjabi juttis , belts, caps, shades, scarves are also worth to give a shot.
- You will find many decorating items for you like show-piece, wall hangings etc.
- One should also try night wear PJ’s in different patterns of your favorite cartoon character I found sponge bob and minions very cool and childlike.
- Yes last but not the least you will find some adorable and eye catching accessories like neck piece, earrings, bangles etc.
- Even if you are looking to buy some good and cheap books you will find many shops or people selling at the footpath where you can get every type of book fiction, non-fiction, magazines etc.
Famous in Janpath:
If you are a antique lover, Janpath is the best place to go and here are few interesting shops you must explore:
Address: A-21, Janpath, Near Marie Stopes Hospital, New Delhi-110011.
Ph. No. (011) 29837887, (011) 4321321.
Address: Raj Path Crossing, Janpath Lane,Opposite Nirman Bhawan, Delhi- 110011. Ph.No. (011) 23019272, (011) 23019352.
Address: 56 Municipal Market, Janpath, Delhi- 110001 Ph. No.(011) 23326476
National Cottage Emporium
Address: L-71, Janpath, Delhi- 110001 Ph. No. (011) 23723399
Hunger’s Point in Janpath:
After lots of shopping; now the most important thing is FOOD. Here are some famous food outlets you must go:
Depaul’s is very famaus in Janpath and they offers food & beverages items like cheese ball, tandoori sandwich, paneer tikka sandwich and cold coffee. They have a good Varity of sandwiches and rolls and the price range is from Rs. 20 to 60.
Gulhar is popular for its Chinese as well as Indian cuisine. The best part of the Gulhar is that they provide with the best dishes all time which are very famous among Indians like Tandoori Chicken and Kung-pao chicken at a very genuine price.